Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Story of Chloe's New Room

Long before we found out Brody was on the way, I pictured the rooms that the children would be sleeping in. Chloe would eventually move to the guest room/office, Cadence would move to Chloe's room, and the "next kid" would move into the nursery. Once Brody was on the way, I wasn't too stressed about getting everything organized and moved because Cadence slept on my chest and in the bassinet for the first couple of months. So I figured we had awhile.

Unfortuntely my nesting instinct kicked in and in March/April I started to freak that we had not done anything with the rooms. Chloe and I went and looked at beds from various bedroom stores and aside from the Cinderella bed at the Room Store (expensive and definitely NOT timeless) didn't find anything we loved. I wanted something that would be hers forever and that would enable sleepovers. In my mind it was a daybed, like I had as a kid. Ben thought bunk beds would be good because that was what he had as a kid. I reminded him that I was a girl and he was a boy and that little girls need daybeds. Thankfully Chloe agreed when we asked if she wanted bunkbeds! Finally, the JC Penney catalog came in the mail. I searched all the kids beds online and finally settled on three to let her choose from. She picked her bed and then picked her bedding. We placed the order and freaked out when we discovered it was backordered until May! Good thing we placed the order.

When the furniture finally arrived, we still had not broken down the guest room (including storage in the closet) plus we had started preparing for Cadence's birthday party. Needless to say there was a lot to do! And I was getting really big to boot! Thankfully mom came over the help me for a few days when Ben was out of town and things moved quickly. When Ben was back in town, we took the linens and picked out paint colors based on the pillow sham. Crazy motivated Ben quickly painted all the walls and got the furniture put together. The linens were put in place and clothes were moved. The furniture was placed a couple different ways, but in the end it was the set-up I had envisioned!

Then we began planning for toys. Her old room had been chaos! Most of her favorite toys didn't fit on her shelves and there were MANY toys she never played with. I wanted to make sure she had enough storage and that the storage was managable for her. Luckily we settled on some floating shelves for the Littlest Pet Shop VIPs collection and found perfect storage containers for other toys in the closet. And, last but not least, I found butterfly bookends at Home Goods to finish the room!

Chloe loves her room. It is her little sanctuary away from siblings and authority. It is where she goes to relax and to be a kid. It will be neat to see how she grows into the space and how she transforms it from my favorite kids room to her own organized style.

Cadence's room is done too, but Brody's room is still in transition. Which is good, because when the door to the nursery was open last week Cadence walked in and said "My room!" Looks like she needs a little more time...

I am sure there will be lots of pictures and memories made in her room, but for now, here is the raw room - HGTV here I come!

No comments: