Thursday, July 9, 2009

Brody is 4 weeks old!

Four weeks ago we met my little man. He really is amazing, and yes I am biased. Just looking at him I can tell he has grown, his face is starting to fill out and I swear he is a lot longer (the blanket I use for a changing pad in the family room is being constantly lengthened).

As with the increase in age comes an increase in fussiness. Mostly due to his reactions to the foods I have been eating, I think. And his desire for cuddle time with a productive mommy.

Here are some fun things about Brody from the last week -

On Wednesday during tummy time, he lifted his head and shoulders up off the mat for a little while, right before he fell asleep.

He is a sucker. I noticed that Brody was continuing to suck after he was done nursing, basically suckling and getting now nourishment. And he was falling asleep while nursing every time. Generally with a newborn, you let them suckle to their hearts content. But nursing is not the most comfortable thing for me. So we moved to the pacifier. With Cadence, we practically forced it on her when she was just over a month old. Brody has taken right to the pacifier though and it has allowed me extra sleep and extra freedom! I am sure he is growing sufficiently, I just hope his pacifier use hasn't prevented any necessary feeding!

I just knocked on wood for this next tidbit. Brody has already somewhat developed a good night time routine. For the past few nights he has regularly been eating at 3 hour intervals. AND his feeding times have decreased from 1 hour to about 20/30 minutes. This means his momma is a lot more rested. Soon I plan to bring diapers into the bedroom so I can change and feed and not have to be moving though the house late at night.

It is really fun watching him change and grow so much already. I am trying to treasure each and every moment knowing that this is likely the last baby I will have (sniff, sniff).

Not as many pictures over the last week as I would like. We stayed in and entertained a lot. Which basically meant I camped out with Brody while everyone else was out in the pool (again - sniff, sniff).

In other Smith family news, Cadence has successfully slept in her big girl bed since last week. She really loves having a room where she has toys and can sit and play. Last night was the first night she woke-up in the middle of the night. She has yet to quietly wake-up and play in her room at night, but I am sure it is just a matter of time. Ben thinks Chloe is somewhat jealous of Cadence's new room. Because it is new and now she is not the one getting all the attention. But both girls have fun playing together in both rooms. I just love that everyone has their own individual space. It will be fun to see how they customize their spaces as the reach their teen years!

Alright, enough randomness - time for pictures!



July 2nd - moving those little legs... I fell asleep a lot while talking on the phone to friends, I figured Cadence would too, just didn't think it would be this young.
Patriotic baby - July 4th.
Family room changing area, on the morning of the 4th - wearing the booties from Grandma Cathy. My boy LOVES to be warm!



In the bassinet, cuddled in the pooh blanket from Aunt Janet. July 5th

Enjoying a lazy day after July 4th and cuddling with Simba.

Sleepy baby - July 8th

Sleepy squish mouth!
Puppy Love!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I totally jinxed myself. Last night at 2 I was feeding Brody and out walks Cadence. She hands me her pacifier and says "no more nap time." To which I quickly pointed out that it was dark out and she needed to go to sleep. Then she said she had to go potty. I told her to wake up Daddy. When I finished feeding Brody shortly thereafter, I found Cadence (not having gone potty) cuddling with Daddy in bed. Lovely. Needless to say Brody went to bed and I got Cadence back in her bed too!

Anonymous said...

wow, he's changed so much since i saw him. get out of the house and bring that baby to me!! :) maybe he'd like to go to storytime next week!! lauren is coming along.

that pooh blanket looks so cozy. i think i'm going to get one for myself. :)

Jobina said...

Congrats Jill!! Brody is adorable.