Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Remembering Allyson Smith

On Monday, February 16, 2009, my mother-in-law Allyson Smith passed away in Portland, OR. Her body and organs could no longer handle the stress and stopped working. Allyson was a complicated woman who loved her children deeply, even though she struggled to communicate it at times. And although she and I were not close, I respected her a great deal. And I believe she respected me and loved me for loving her son. Family and friends are gathering in Portland this weekend to say goodbye. Details of Allyson's life and services can be found at the Threadgill Memorial website by clicking here.
Since Ben and I married in 2005, Allyson has been trying to gather her children and their extended families. It is fitting then, that we will all be together for the first time at her funeral. Ben's brother Danny, who attended the wedding, will be bringing his wife, Kristina and their 3 girls, who I have never met. Mandi, Ben's sister has been in Portland since Monday evening with her husband and 2 of their 3 kids. I am both overwhelmed and excited to meet all the extended family, when Cadence and I fly up on Thursday morning. I know Allyson will be smiling down on us knowing that she finally made it happen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry to hear about Allyson's passing. Our thoughts are with you and your family right now.
How's ben doing?

Katy said...

I'm sorry to hear that news. I hope you're doing ok.

Lo Farley said...

I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.