Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Coffee Corner - Office Coffee

What a week, Spring Break! And I find myself in the office this week, scraping for child care and passing by the windows with visions of sunshine and beaches in my head! Thank goodness for coffee, because without it I really wouldn't be able to focus.

Here at CPA firm land we have good coffee. I think it goes without saying that if you work at a CPA firm you will have good coffee. For those of my coworkers who work a real CPA firm schedule during busy season, they live on the stuff. Yes, we all like numbers and they can be exciting from time to time...but at 9 pm on a Wednesday looking at the same numbers you have been looking at since Monday, its time for a cup of joe to get you over the hump!

So, in my four years here the coffee delivery system has remained the same. We have a machine hooked up to our office RO system. We put the grounds in the filter, press the magic button and voila! Soon there will be a full pot of nice hot coffee. Here's a picture of the machine with the fixin's.

At the office I have different choices from home, and when I have choices I often indulge. As I mentioned before, I love my creamer. While they don't have my favorite, they do have French Vanilla, which is standard option #2 and in my coffee a majority of the time. I require three of the cream filled containers to properly flavor my morning cup. The problem here is that if I am in the office for too long and have too much happening at night (or just an uncooperative child or two), I can drain the supply like nobody's business! When that happens, I switch to Hazelnut...but YES I know that each of these little containers is 60 calories! So now that I am officially post baby I may go the splenda route at work too...*sigh*

We currently have Seattle's Best instant coffee, in premeasured bags so making coffee requires no thought at all (we save all the thinking for the number crunching). The red bags for the caffeine boost, the gold to ease the coffee cravings with minimal impact to the state of mind. I think there are 2-3 people, myself included over the past 1.5 years, who actually drink the decaffinated stuff...

At one point I think they tried to switch to Dunkin Donuts coffee. All I can remember was that it tasted very weird. I think too strong or too bitter. But all the creamer in the world wasn't enough to save it. Hopefully Dunkin has improved on its instant coffee in their latest reinvention of the brand (haven't been to the new locale yet, but am hoping too one of these Monday's in March for free coffee...for more go here).

My biggest gripe with the office coffee is the styrofoam cups that we are provided with which to consume our beverages. So not environmentally friendly. Sometimes I try to remember to bring one of my random mugs from home. This week I have the Sedona mug I got from Brandy's wedding in the office, but I forgot it when I went to fill up my morning cup. For a month or so we had plain reinforced paper cups. That was interesting. Didn't occur to me to use two cups until I saw someone else doing it. That served two purposes: protecting my hands and quickly eliminating the unusual drinking vessel.

Next week I am out at a new client. We'll see what kind of coffee they have to offer or if I will be toting from home!

1 comment:

M said...

Also note that if you purchase a Starbucks travel vessel, the refills are less than $1 and there's a location on EVERY corner! They'll even sweeten and creamer it for you :)