Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Brody is 7 months old!

Take Two! (Had it all typed out and when I put the pictures in and went to move the text, the text disappeared. Thankfully, due to quick thinking I was able to paste the text into word and print it.)

Brody turns 7 months tomorrow, Sunday, January 10th! I started this post in December when he was just 6 months...so bear with me!

Since my last Brody post we have hit two major milestones. He started solid foods on 12/13 and really started rolling over on 12/15. Which is a little frustrating because he very much dislikes bing on his tummy! I am concerned he will never crawl! Also, more recently he has been sitting up. He can sit, unsupported for several minutes (as of today!). Really, though, I think his favorite position is on his back with his feet in his mouth! With foods, he is a pretty good eater for me and at school with the solids, but not as good as Cadence was. Cadence ate everything with no issues. You can tell when Brody doesn't like a food because he spits it out while eating, gets more fussy, and puts his head down on his shoulder. I really should take some video, because it is the cutest thing ever! When Ben fed him oatmeal on introduction day #2, he spit it out and cried! And he doesn't really care for carrots either (which is strange because I inhaled them when I was pregnant and do now when I am nursing). He prefers peas and sweet potatoes, yum! So far he doesn't clamp his mouth shut yet for foods he doesn't like, but I am sure it is just a matter of time.

At his 6 month appointment he weighted 17lbs and 2 oz and was 27 inches tall. That puts him in the 75th% for height and 50% for weight, which is about where Cadence was when she was this age. I can't believe how fast time goes! I am loving my baby every minute and trying my best to treasure this baby phase while it lasts!

Brody had his first trip to the doctor for other than a well check appointment on 1/5. For a week or so he had a cough and really wasn't acting himself. I was constantly checking his temperature because I was so sure he was sick. After an off day at daycare, I knew it was time to take him in. I was sure that they were going to tell me he was fine and send me home with my tail between my legs...but unfortunately Brody had two ear infections. Poor guy. No wonder he was so out of sorts. Luckily no fever means no time out of school and mom doesn't have to miss work...but this reminds me...

When you are a first time parent, you are overly concerned for the safety of your child. You greet visitors with hand sanitizer, probably don't put bumbers on the crib. Carefully screen each toy to ensure it is big enough not to be a choking hazard. But the carry bar from the infant seat down everytime you put it in the car. When you are a first time parent, the primary danger is what you don't know. Not anticipating certain that a certain object could be a hazard, not anticipating your child's climbing ability. Not knowing that the bottles you purchased contained a terrible chemical that poisoned your child each time a bottle was heated...I think as a second time parent, the danger comes in a different form. Rather than not knowing now, I find myself knowing but making the decision that it is probably okay. The danger of SIDS is not any less than when Cadence was a baby, yet Brody sleeps with 5+ stuffed animals in his bed. Heck I even give him one to help him soothe himself to sleep. When Cadence was a baby I was careful to keep all of Chloe's big girl toys away in her room. Now that Cadence has these toys, they are constantly found dangerously close to the little man's mouth! Maybe I am overconfident in my role of mom the second time, but there certainly has been a shift. And I reserve the right to change my tune once he becomes mobile!

Nov. 21 at the H&H family picnic with Shelby & Sherway

Dec. 12 - Cuddled up with Eeyore...usually we just give him a stuffy to cuddle with, but tonight he rolled over and fell asleep holding Eeyore.
Dec. 13 - First solids (mom and dad haven't set-up the high chair yet!)

Dec. 15 - Getting into the solid food thing!

Daddy catches the little man chewing on his toes!
Dec. 20 - With Great Grandpa David!
Playing with the puppy dog. Brody loves this, Cadence when she was this age, not so much.

Introduction to Green Beans, Yum! Hey and that's me - courtesy Rebecca, who came over for dinner with Jeff that evening!

Brody's first Christmas! December 25, 2009 - Ball from Santa he found in his stocking!

Christmas breakfast, yum!

The elves left the kids each a Disney stuffed animal in their bed. Brody got Donald, yum!

Cuddle time with Daddy at Aunt Mandi's house!
Four Generations of Smith Men!
Carey, Ben, Brody and David
December 31, 2009 - Brody usually plays on the quilt to the left. Well, this morning he rolled and wiggled himself over to play with the little basketballs in his new toy from Santa. When I saw, I asked Ben if he moved him there. Then I grabbed my camera!
Happy Baby!!
Not so happy baby!

January 7th, 2010 - Working on sitting up.

But not for long, as he'd rather be laying down on his back! Like this!

No comments: